Andy Volpe, Visual Artist – Drawing, Printmaking
Andew P. (Andy) Volpe – Art Resume
Contact: PalusButeo AT Hotmail DOT Com
Contents: (Updated 2/12/12)
- (Published) Illustrations and Other Works
- Lectures, Classes, Workshops, Demonstrations, Presentations
- Art Shows, Exhibtitons (Arranged / grouped by annual or multiple show years; works on display and for sale)
- Media Appearances and Articles
- Art Memberships and Organizations
(Published) Illustrations and Works
- Illustrations and Reconstruction Artwork for Dr. William R. Short for his book “Icelanders in the Viking Age: The People of the Sagas”, published by McFarland and Co. Artwork consisted of pen and ink line drawings, diagrams, layouts and conception/reconstruction of Viking/Norse artifacts and items. (2009 – 2010).
- Dragon Bookplate / Ex Libris - Designed and printed a limited edition linocut to celebrate the release of author Resa Nelson’s novel “The Dragonslayer’s Sword” (novel is published by Mundania Press LLC), (2007 – 08).
- Illustration “Rebecca’s Hell” for author Resa Nelson’s short story of the same title, published in Brutarian Quarterly (Issue #44, Summer 2005), (Spring 2005).
- Drawing of a full-plate armor in collection for use in the “Age of Armor” nationally traveled exhibit catalog for Higgins Armory Museum. (2003).
- Member / Demonstrator T-Shirt Designs and Logo for Higgins Armory Sword Guild. (2002, 2003).
- Illustrations of 4 Bird Wing Types, and Skeletal Diagram for Dr. Art Driscoll, Ph.D., Biology Department, Westfield State College (1999-2000).
- Artist’s Conceptual Drawing for “Adopt and Island” Rotary beautification program for the City of Westfield Community Development Corporation in collaboration with Westfield State College Art Department (December 1998).
Lectures, CLASSES, Workshops, Demonstrations, Presentations
- Private Art Tutor, Westboro, MA (Currently since November, 2010).
- Intaglio Printing Demonstration, Museum of Printing, North Andover MA (Nov. 12, 2011).
- Medieval / Renaissance Artist presentation, Franklin Pierce University, Rindge NH (November 2010, 2011).
- Medieval / Renaissance Artist presentation, Holden Senior Center, Holden MA (February 7, 2011).
- Open House / Open Studio, Bella Luce Art Café, Whitinsville, MA (December 9, 2010; March 23, 2011).
- Linocut Printing Demo, Bella Luce Art Café / Creative Arts Studio, Whitinsville MA (September, 2010).
- [Medieval] Intaglio Printing Demo/Display, Annual Printing Arts Fair / Open House, Museum of Printing, North Andover MA (June 2010, 2011).
- “Medieval Art and Falconry” Lecture and demonstration with guest Julie Collier of Wingmasters (for Westboro Gallery), Tatnuck Booksellers, Westboro MA, part of “New and Revived Work” show. (August 2009). - With Larry Keating of Rulers of the Wind (March 2009).
- stART on the Street, Park Avenue, Worcester, MA - demonstrations with Higgins Armory Sword Guild (September 2008).
- “Falconry and Art” Lecture and demonstration with guest Falconry presenter Julie Collier of Wingmasters, for Westboro Gallery at Tatnuck Booksellers, Westboro MA (December 2006).
- “Raptors and Art” lecture with guest Julie Collier of Wingmasters, Westboro Gallery, part of “Visions” (October 2004).
- Gathering of Artists who are Birders (G.A.B.) conference, Visual Arts Center, Massachusetts Audubon Society, Canton MA (March 2006, 07, 08).
- “Raptors in Art” drawing session at the EcoTarium, Worcester MA for their “Hunters of the Sky” exhibit. (October 2004).
- Medieval / Renaissance Drawing Workshop, taught during a Children’s Summer Camp week at Higgins Armory Museum, Worcester MA. Included a brief Art History lesson and an arms and armor still life drawing session using period media. (August 2002).
- Art Teacher’s Assistant at Worcester Art Museum, for school workshops, studio workshops, and Youth Classes (varied between September 2000 and May 2002).
- 3-day Visiting Artist Workshop for grades 3-4 art class, and another for Adults, focusing on Wildlife and drawing techniques, at the Lancaster Memorial Center / Accelerated Elementary School, Lancaster MA (2001, 2002).
- Teacher’s Assistant for Christine O’Brien / L’atelier de Christine for summer youth Art classes (ages 6-10), and an Adult open studio. (June – August 2000).
- “Meet the Artist” and Demonstration at the 8th annual Festival of Trees (sponsored by Junior League of Worcester) Tuckerman Hall, Worcester MA (November 2000).
Art Shows, Exhibtions; works on display and for sale
AnNUAL and multiple shows and exhibitions (singulaR / Solo shows listed below)
- Uxbridge Rotary Club Wine and Chocolate Tasting and Auction, Blissful Meadows Golf Club, Uxbridge MA (Feb. 11 2012)
- Amazing Holiday Crafts and Fine Arts Bazaar, Amazing Things Arts Center, Framingham MA (Dec. 2010, 2011).
- Blackstone Valley Starlight Heritage Festival (Blackstone Valley Chamber of Commerce), Riverdale Mill, Northbridge MA (October 2010, ‘11).
- Grafton Fine Arts and Music Festival, Grafton Municipal Center, Grafton MA. (April 2006, May 2010, March 2011).
- Medieval Artist Display at Winslowshire Renaissance Faire at Winslow Farm, Norton MA. (June 2009, 2010, 2011).
- ARISIA (Arisia Inc.) Sci-Fi and Fantasy Convention Art Show (2007 – 2011).
At the Westin Waterfront Hotel (Boston Exposition Center), Boston MA (2011, 2012).
At the Hyatt Regency Cambridge, MA. (January 2007 – 2010).
At the Park Plaza Hotel, Boston MA. (January 2004 – 2006).
- stART (www.startonthestreet.org) Art Festival, Worcester MA – Artist Display
- stART at the Station, Union Station, Worcester MA. (December 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011).
- stART on the Street, Park Ave. Worcester MA. (September 2009, 2010).
- Westboro Gallery – Cooperative Art Gallery, Westboro MA (Member 2003-2010),
Solo / Featured Artist shows:
- “New and Revived Work” (August – November 2009). (See also “Medieval Art and Falconry” under ‘Lectures’).
- “Visions” (September – November 2004). (Including an Artist’s Talk, and “Raptors and Art” lecture, listed under ’Lectures’).
Members / Group Shows:
- Mother’s Day sale and display, Hopkinton Stone and Garden, Inc. Hopkinton, MA. (May 2010).
- “Small Packages” Show, Works in Small Format II (November, 2009 – February 2010).
- Artwork displayed at Arts in Common, Westboro MA. (October, 2009).
- 10th Anniversary Retrospective (November - December 2008).
- “Short Takes: Explorations in Small Format” (June – August 2008).
- Members / Artists Exhibition (May 2005. June 2006).
- Artist Demonstrations during “Village Stroll” town events. (November 2004, 2005).
- 7th Anniversary Member’s show. (June 2004 – August 2005).
-- Westboro Gallery also has a Satellite gallery at Tatnuck Bookseller’s, Westboro MA where work has been displayed.
- Annual Student Art Show of L’Atelier de Christine (Christine O’Brien), Quinnebaug Valley Center for the Arts, Southbridge, MA (1996-99, 2000-01).
- Instructor’s Award, 2001, “Coming Ashore” pencil, ink and ink wash
- Instructor’s Award, 2000, “Soon Son, This Will All Be Yours”, pencil
- Instructor’s Award, 1999 “Bald Eagle”, pencil
- “Wild and Wonderful” Wildlife Art Show at Capen Hill Nature Sanctuary, Charlton MA
- 3rd Place in Pastels/Drawings, 2000, “The Eyes Have It I” ebony and colored pencil
- Honorable Mention in Drawing/Print, 1999, “Bald Eagle” pencil
- Blackstone River Art Gallery, Woonsocket RI. (Member, Fall 2001 – Spring 2002).
- Fear No Art Gallery, Putnam CT (Formerly at Chevalier Furniture, Worcester MA; originally as Highland Artist Group, Highland St. Worcester, MA). (Member, August 2000 – May 2003).
- City Beautifcation Mural Projects for City of Worcester, in collaboration with (formerly) Highland Artist Group, Worcester, MA. (Summer, Fall 2000).
- Footbridge at the Belmont Street Community School, Belmont Street.
- The Boynton Restaurant rear entrance, Highland Street.
- Variety Store, Belmont Street.
- Worcester Art Museum, Higgins Education Wing, Worcester MA
- Annual Student Art Show. (2001, 2002).
- Non-Toxic / Polyester Plate Lithograph “Screech Owl” used in Museum Art Classes Catalog, and was seen in the Worcester
Telegram and Gazette newspaper advertising classes. (2001 – 2002).
- Annual Student Art Show, Arno Maris Gallery, Westfield State University (formerly W.S. College), Westfield MA. (Spring 1997 – 2000)
- Senior Thesis Show (Spring, 2000).
singular / Solo shows and exhibitions
- Medieval Artist Display / Sale, Medieval German Festival (“Phoenix Faire”), Ye Olde Commons, Charlton MA (August 2011).
- Medieval Artist Display / Sale, Abbadia Mare Festival (“Abbey By the Sea”), Hammond Castle, Gloucester MA (July 2011).
- Quinebaug Valley Council for Arts and Humanities, Members Art Show, Southbridge MA (June – July 2011).
- St. Ann Arts and Cultural Center’s Winter Carnival, Woonsocket RI (Nov. 27+28, 2010).
- Donated Artwork (“Great Gray Owl”, pencil drawing) to Massachusetts Audubon Society, “For the Birds” Art Exhibit, in collaboration with Mass. Audubon Visual Arts Center, Canton MA and Fruitlands Museum, Harvard MA. (May 2010).
- YouCubed Art Card / Business card Donation - Display for First Night Worcester 2009. (2008-09).
- AlbaCon Sci-Fi and Fantasy Convention Art Show, Albany NY. (October 2006).
- Solo Exhibition / Featured Artist of the Month, Italian American Cultural Center at the Our Lady of Mount Caramel Church center, Worcester MA. (March 2 – 25, 2005).
- Artwork for Grand Opening & Dedication Ceremony for the Bernice Barbour Wildlife Medicine Building (Wildlife Clinic) at Tufts University Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, North Grafton, MA. (April 23, 2001).
- Art Show and Auction for the Domestic Violence Prevention Dinner / Dance, for UMass Memorial Health Care with (formerly) Highland Artist Group, at the White Cliffs, Northboro MA. (April 14, 2001).
- Solo Art Show, Ely Campus Center Student Art Gallery, Westfield State College, Westfield, MA (Fall, 1997).
Selected artWorks and Commissioned Works in Private collections:
- House Portrait pencil drawing, Jamestown RI (Private Commission 2009-2010).
- “Great Gray Owl” pencil drawing, Mrs. Combs, Harvard MA (from Mass. Audubon and Fruitlands Museum auction, 2010).
- “Rebecca’s Hell” pencil drawing, R. Nelson (2006-07).
- “On Approach” pencil drawing, A. Adcock Family, Upton MA (from “Visions” show, 2004).
- House Portrait pencil drawing, Grafton MA / Raleigh NC (2003).
- Several pieces, Bernice Barbour Wildlife Medicine Building, Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, Grafton MA (2001-02).
- “Grist Mill, Wayside Inn” and “Martha Mary Chapel, Wayside Inn” pencil drawings, Mr. and Mrs. J. Herold, Northboro MA (2001).
- “Dragon” pen and ink, T. Axleson (2001).
- Landscape “Highland Lighthouse” pencil drawing, S. Krieg, Westfield MA (2000).
MEDIA APPEARANCES AND ARTICLES:
“Living (Art) History”, Artizen Magazine (http://www.artizenmagazine.com) #2-4 May 2011
First Nite Worcester Program (Business card advertisement) 2009/10.
“Artist’s medieval vision takes flight”, GraftonTimes.com (Online article) August 25, 2009.
Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Humanities Department, IQP Student Film Projects for Higgins Armory Museum (2007 – 2009).
“A Man for All Raptors”, Massachusetts Wildlife magazine, vol. LIV #4 Fall 2004.
MetroWest Daily News
- “Grafton Artist shows prints and drawings at Westboro Gallery” (Online article) August 2009 metrowestdailynews.com
- “A Man with Visions” September 2004.
Tufts Veterinary Medicine magazine, “Volunteers are Essential”, vol. 4 #2, 2002.
Worcester Telegram and Gazette (i.e. mentions for Worcester Art Museum, Higgins Armory Museum, Westboro Gallery, lectures, et al.).
Worcester Magazine (i.e. mentions for Westboro Gallery shows, Worcester Art Museum, Highland Artist Group)
Worcester Quarterly magazine (i.e. mention for Blackstone CanalFest with Higgins Armory Museum)
The Boston Globe (i.e. mention for “Visions” solo art show at Westboro Gallery)
The Southbridge Evening News (i.e. mention for “Visions” show)
The Westboro News (i.e. mentions for “New and Revived Works”, “Visions”, et. al.).
The Grafton News (i.e. mentions for “Visions”)
The Landmark (Northwest-Central Worcester County, MA) (i.e. mentions for Holden Senior Center presentations)
The Valley Breeze (Blackstone Valley region, MA and RI) (i.e. mentions for Higgins Armory Museum presentations)
The Journal Tribune (Maine) (i.e. mentions for Legion III Cyrenaica presentations)
Westfield Union News (i.e. mention for Annual Student Art Show, Westfield State College)
Campus Voice, Westfield State College (i.e. mention for Student Art Show, Opinion column)
WBZ4 CBS TV-4 (i.e. mention for Higgins Armory Museum presentations, “Visions” art show)
Grafton TV Cable Access, GCTV-11 (i.e. Interview for “Visions” art show, about the Artist)
Worcester Community Cable Access, WCCA-TV13 (i.e. mention for Higgins Armory Museum, “Visions”, Blackstone CanalFest, et. al.)
WXLO 104.5FM Radio (i.e. mention for Higgins Armory Museum presentations, “Raptors in Art” at EcoTarium)
ART MEMBERSHIPS, GROUPS, ORGANIZATIONS:
Bella Luce Art Café / Creative Arts Studio, Whitin Mill Complex, Whitinsville MA
- Artist in Residence / Studio Tenant, Red Brick Mill, since November 2010.
American Printing Historical Association, Member 2012.
Letterpress Guild of New England, Member 2012.
Quinebaug Valley Council for the Arts and Humanities, Southbridge MA, Member 2011-2012.
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, member since 2009/10.
Museum of Printing, North Andover MA, member since 2009.
Westboro Gallery, Westboro MA, Member 2003-2010.
Worcester Art Museum, Worcester MA, member since 2001.
Massachusetts Audubon Society, member since 2004.
Higgins Armory Museum, member since 2001.
Fine Arts Festival Club (Annual Student Art Show Committee), Westfield State College, Vice President, 1999-2000.
Art / Graphics Club, Westfield State College, 1997-2000.
A. Volpe 2000-2012 21212